Monday, February 18, 2008

Paternalistic Doctors

Paternalistic doctors drive me crazy! They make hard situations even harder. Today I'm speaking of my endocrinologist. Any of you out there who are also dealing with hypothyroidism will no doubt be able to relate to my frustration. I was having some pretty unmistakable symptoms like more frequently freezing hands and feet, more dry hair falling out more often, episodes of extreme cold and an inability to get warm while others in the same room are perfectly comfortable and feeling like I had a rock in my throat (right where my dysfunctional thyroid is located.) After not being able to get in with the doctor (over a month 'til her next available appt.) my husband succeeded in getting her to order blood work to check my levels. At my last appt. she told me that her goal was to keep my TSH at 1. So she calls today to tell me that my thyroid levels are "just perfect!" When I ask her what they are specifically she tells me my TSH was 2.5. WTH? So I say, "I suppose you don't believe that was the cause of my symptoms then." Of course she doesn't!! Then I tell her that I have an appt. for 2/26 and that I don't believe my level is good at all for ttc and want her to know that we're heading into our first IVF. So she says, "Well good. We'll talk about it then, and hey, maybe I'll even adjust your dose since you're doing IVF." Thanks for the favor, doc! I felt like I should be up on my hind legs begging with my tongue hanging out. Hey, she just dangled a bone in front of me right? Maybe she'll even adjust my dose. If you actually remembered a damn thing about me and my case you should be upping my dose since my levels are 150% higher than your stated goal for me!

You know, when I'm fighting IF, depression, hypothyroidism, blood clotting disorders, and the obesity that comes along with some of the aforementioned conditions the last thing I need is to have to fight the doctors I've hired to help me. When will more physicians learn that many of their patients actually know their own bodies and are a valuable partner in determining their own best treatment? Needless to say, it's time to find another endocrinologist.

3 comments:

Polly Gamwich said...

I feel the same way about my endo ... why do some respect ttc and others are no help at all. I'm sorry you're dealing with this :-(

Lost in Space said...

How frustrating!! It is amazing how doctors just float around with what should be a normal range and then change their minds or forget what they even said. We do so much research on our conditions and know what should be normal. I am so sorry you are dealing with this especially as you are trying to get everything in order for your IVF. ((Hugs))

Let It Be said...

Thanks Polly and Brenda. Rereading my post I can see how angry I was. LOL It's good to know others understand, although I wish no one had to put up with these types of things from their doctors.